Cuttings are the most convenient and cheapest method for obtaining the true to type plants. To develop early rooting in cuttings, an experiment was conducted to enhance the rooting of grape cv. Perlette. Hardwood cuttings were treated with Indole butyric acid (IBA 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 ppm), Poly-3-hydroxy butyrate (PHB 500, 750 and 1000 ppm), Sucrose (10, 20, 30 and 40 g/L) and water (control) by quick dip method. Periodical observations were taken after 120 days. The treated lots in every instance had a greater percentage of rooted cuttings with a higher number of roots per cutting. Among the various treatments IBA @ 3000 ppm resulted into highest number of roots per cutting, more fresh weight of roots, minimum days to first sprouting, highest sprouting percentage, a greater number of shoots per cutting, high average stem diameter, a greater number of leaves and total leaf area. Hence, it can be concluded from the present investigation that IBA @ 3000 ppm is proved to be best in term of root and shoot enhancement of grape cv. Perlette.
Department of Horticulture, Khalsa College, Amritsar-143001, Punjab, India
Correspondence and requests should be addressed to MS
Kaur G, Singh S and Singh M (2022) Growth Regulators and Sucrose Application to Improve the Success Rate of Grape Cuttings. Environ Sci Arch 1(STI-1): 59-63.
1. Ajmal (2014) Studies on propagation method of pomegranate by cuttings in coastal climate of Odisa. M.Sc. Thesis. Odisha University of Agriculture & Technology.
2. Bonner J and Galston AW (1952) Plant growth substances principles and applications. New York, Champman and Hall Press. 499.
3. Chakraborty S and Rajkumar M (2018) Effect of growth regulators and organic substances on rooting of grape cv. Muscat. Asian Journal of Science and Technology 09: 8418-8421.
4. Chandramouli H (2001) Influence of growth regulators on the rooting of different types of cuttings in Bursera penicillata. M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences Bangalore.
5. Deepika D, Vanajalatha K, Sharma G, et al. (2015) Effect of sucrose and auxins on rooting of karonda cuttings, Carissa carandas L. International journal of Farm Sciences 5:139-144.
6. Devi J, Bakshi P, Wali VK, et al. (2016) Role of auxin and dates of planting on growth of cuttings raised plantlets of phalsa (Grewia asiatica L.) The Bioscan 11:535-37.
7. Dey K, Ghosh A, Mani A, et al. (2017) Root regeneration of karonda (Carissa carandas L) cuttings in response of sucrose and IBA. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 6:803-06.
8. Galavi M, Karimian MA and Mousavi SR (2013) Effects of different auxin (IBA) concentrations and planting beds on rooting grape cuttings. Annual Research and Review in Biology 3:517-23.
9. Jamwal M, Singh B, Sharma N and Kumar R (2013) In vitro Regeneration of grape cv. Perlette. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences 9:161-66.
10. Kareem A, Manan A, Saeed S, et al. (2016) Effect of different concentration of IBA on rooting of guava in low tunnel under shady situation. Journal of Agriculture and Environment for International Development 110:197-203.
11. Kaur (2017) Effect of PGR’s on success of cuttings of fig cv. Brown Turkey. M.Sc. Thesis. GNDU.
12. Kaur S and Kaur A (2016) Effect of IBA and PHB on rooting of pomegranate cuttings cv. Ganesh. Biological Forum-An International Journal 8:203-206.
13. Patil VN, Chauhan PS, Shivankar RS, et al. (2001) Effect of plant growth regulators on survival and vegetative growth of grapevine cuttings Journal of Agricultural Science 21:97-99.
14. Rather JA, Wani SH, Haribhushan A and Bhat ZA (2011) Influence of girdling, thinning and GA3 on fruit quality and shelf life of grapes cv. Perlette. Elixir Agriculture 41:5731 – 35.
15. Raven PH, Evert RF and Eichhorn SE (1992) Biology of plants. NewYork, Worth Publisher. pp.791.
16. Rolaniya MK, Bairwa M, Khushbu and Sarvanan S (2018) Effect of plant growth regulators (IAA, IBA, GA3) on rooting of hardwood cutting of grape cv. Thompson Seedless. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 1:398-400.
17. Rost TL, Barbour MG, Thornton RME, et al. (1984). Botany NewYork, Wiley and Sons. pp. 342.
18. Shukla R, Prakash J and Shukla HS (2004) Effect of IBA on regeneration of pomegranate by hardwood cuttings. Horticulture Journal 17:29-34.
19. Singh KK, Choudhary T and Kumar P (2013) Effect of IBA concentrations on growth and rooting of Citrus limon cv. Pant Lemon cuttings. Horti Flora Research Spectrum 2:268-270.
20. Stancato GC, Aguiar FFA, Kanashiro S and Tavares AR (2003) Rhipsalis grandiflora Haw propagation by stem cuttings. Scientia Agricola 56:185-190.
License: Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution, and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third-party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. Visit for more details http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.