The experiment entitled “Seed priming for improving seed germination and growth of peach cv. Sharbati” was carried out in Horticultural Experimental Area, Nursery, P.G. Department of Agriculture, Khalsa College, Amritsar during the year 2021-22. In this study, peach seeds were treated with different pre-sowing treatments and planted in polythene bags having size 7×7 inches. The experiment was performed in Randomized Block Design with three replications and was assessed to know the effect of different treatments on seed germination and growth. Ten treatments comprised soaking of peach seeds in H2SO4 for 5 and 10 minutes, KNO3 (1% and 2%) for 24 hours, kinetin (0.50 ppm) and kinetin (0.75 ppm) for 24 hours, GA3 @ 500, 1000 and 1500 ppm for 24 hours and control (untreated seeds). The result obtained in the present studies showed that among different treatments, seeds treated with GA3 @ 1500 ppm for 24 hours recorded the minimum days (22.00 days) required for initiation of germination, 50 per cent germination (28.66 days), complete germination (35.66 days) and maximum germination (46.66 % and 66.66 %) which was at par with the application of GA3 @ 1000 ppm for 24 hours while the maximum days (39.66 days) taken for germination were recorded with control (without soaking). Application of GA3 @ 1500 ppm also proved to be superior in the production of maximum plant height, number of leaves, leaf area, stem diameter at 30, 60, 90, 120 and 150 DAS
P.G. Department of Agriculture, Khalsa College Amritsar, 143002, India
Correspondence and requests should be addressed to MS
Kaur G, Singh V, Singh M and Kaur M (2022) Seed Priming for Improving Seed Germination and Growth of Peach cv. Sharbati. Environ Sci Arch 1(STI-1): 34-40.
1. Al-Hawezy SMN (2013) The role of the different concentrations of GA3 on seed germination and seedling growth of loquat (Eriobotrya japonica L.). Journal of Agricultural and Veterinary Science 4:03-06.
2. Ali J and Hama SF (2014) Utilization of wild pear rootstock as a natural resource for Loquat production under rainfed condition in Sulaimani Governorate. Tikrit University Journals for Humanities 19:1-12.
3. Anburani A and Shakila A (2010) Influence of seed treatment on the germination and seedling vigour of papaya. Acta Horticulture 851:295-298.
4. Anjanawe SR, Kanpure RN, Kachouli BK, et al. (2013) Effect of plant growth regulators and growth media on seed germination and growth vigour of papaya (Carica papaya L.) seedlings cv. Barwani Red. Annals of Plants and Soil Research 15:31-34.
5. Babu KD, Patel RK, Singh A, et al. (2010) Seed germination, seedling growth and vigour of papaya under north east condition. Acta Horticulture 851:299-306.
6. Bagal AB (2004) Effect of various treatments on seed germination and seedling vigour in aonla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.). M.Sc. Thesis Mahatama Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth, Rahuri.
7. Barathkumar TR (2019) Studies on effect of different seed treatments in dormancy breaking in aonla (Phyllanthus emblica L.). Journals of Pharmacy and Phytohormones 2:131-133.
8. Barche SK, Singh K and Singh DB (2010) Response of seed treatment on germination, growth, survivability and economics of different cultivars of papaya (Carica papaya L.). Acta Horticulture 851:279-281.
9. Binang WB, Shiyam JO and Ntia JD (2012) Effect of seed priming methods on agronomic performance and cost effectiveness of rainfed, dry-seeded NERICA rice. Research Journal Seed Science 5:136-143.
10. Chaurasiya PC and Mishra RK (2017) Varietal performance of peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch) under north hill zone of Chhattisgarh 5:37-40.
11. Cho JS and Lee CH (2018) Effect of germination and water absorption on scarification and stratification of kousa dogwood seed. Horticultural Environment and Biotechemistry 59:335–344.
12. Dhankar DS and Singh M (1996) Seed germination and seedling growth in aonla (Phyllanthus emblica L.) as influenced by gibberellic acid and thiourea. Crop Research 12:363-366.
13. Dhinesh Babu K, Patel RK, Singh A, et al. (2010) Seed germination, seedling growth and vigour of papaya under north east India condition. Acta Horticulture 851:299-306.
14. Gangwar D, Arora RL and Gaur GS (2005) Compatibility behavior of plum rootstocks with peach scions. Acta Horticulture 696:177-180.
15. Hancock JF, Scorza R and Lobos GA (2008) Temperate fruit crop breeding: Germplasm to genomics 265-298.
16. Harshavardhan A and Rajasekhar M (2012) Effect of pre-sowing seed treatments on seedling growth of jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam.) Journal Research ANGRAU 40:87-89.
17. Hartman HT and Kester DE (1979) Plant propagation principles and practices. Fourth Edition, Prentice Hall of India, Ltd., New Delhi pp. 407.
18. Kant R, Shukla RK and Shukla A (2018) A review on peach (Prunus persica): an asset of medicinal phytochemicals. International Journal for Research in Applied Science and Engineering Technology 6:2186-2200.
19. Kaushal M (2016) Studies on macro and micro nutrients on yield and quality of garlic. M.Sc. Thesis. Dr. YS Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry, Nauna, Solan.
20. Kim DH (2014) Practical methods for rapid seed germination from seed coat-imposed dormancy of Prunus yedoensis. Science and Horticulture 243:451–456.
21. Kumar A and Shahnaz E (2013) Effect of growth regulating substances on stratification of wild apricot (Prunus armeniaca L.) kernels under Kashmir conditions. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 83:1253-1256.
22. Martinez-Gomez P and Dicenta F (2001) Mechanisms of dormancy in seeds of peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch) cv. GF305. Scientia Horticulturae 91:51-58.
23. Muralidhara BM, Reddy YTN, Srilatha V, et al. (2016) Effect of seed coat removal treatments on seed germination and seedling attributes in mango varieties. International Journal of Fruit Science 16:01-09.
24. Parera C and Cantliffe DJ (1994) Pre –sowing seed priming. Horticulture Science Department University of Florida, Gainesville Florida 32611.
25. Shah RA, Arti S, Wali VK, et al. (2013) Effect of seed priming on peach, plum and apricot germination and subsequent seedling growth. Indian Journal of Horticulture 70:591-594.
26. Vasantha PT, Vijendrakumar RC, Guruprasad TR, et al. (2014) Studies on effect of growth regulators and biofertilizers on seed germination and seedling growth of tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.). Plant Archives 14:155-160.
27. Wang M, Van Der Meulen RM, Visser K, et al. (1998) Effects of dormancy-breaking chemicals on ABA levels in barley grain embryos. Seed Science Research 8:129–137.
28. Ynoue CK, Ono EO, Marchi L, et al. (1999) The effect of gibberellic acid on kiwi (Actinidia chinensis Pl.) seed germination. Science Agricola 56:9-12.
License: Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution, and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third-party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. Visit for more details http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.