A field experiment was conducted in spring season 2017 in Babylon, Iraq, to study the effect of fertilization types (as individual or interaction) on growth and tuber yield of potato (Revera variety). The experiment included four levels of Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium (15-15-15): (50, 100, 150 and 200 kg/ha), two levels of organic fertilizer (0 and 12 tons.ha-1 of fermented and decomposed palm leaves, and two levels of foliar fertilizer (control and spraying of 1% high potash soluble fertilizer (36% K2O, 15% N and 15% P2O5). Tuber seeds were planted on 16/01/2017. Randomized complete block design with three replications was used. The results showed that addition of high level of compound fertilizer significantly increased vegetative growth (plant height, number of leaves, leaf area and chlorophyll) and tuber yield to 32.060 t ha-1, compared to low level (50 kg/ha) which achieved 24.770 t ha-1. Foliar fertilizer only increased leaf area, whereas organic fertilizers caused a significant increases of plant length, leaf area and increasing tuber yield to 29.260 ha-1.
Field Crop Science Department, Agriculture College, Al-Qasim Green University, Iraq
Faculty of Agriculture, Al-Qasim Green University, Iraq
Correspondence and requests for materials should be addressed to AHJ
Jasim AH, El-Balla MMA and Al-Nabhani HMA (2022) Effect of Chemical NPK, Organic and Foliar (high potash) Fertilizers on Potato Growth and Tuber Yield. Environ Sci Arch 1(2): 81-87.
1. Addiscott TM (1974) Potassium and the distribution of calcium and magnesium in potato plants. J Sci Fd 25: 1173 – 1183.
2. Adediran JA, Taiwo LB, Akande MO, et al. (2004) Application of organic and inorganic fertilizer for sustainable maize and cowpea yields in Nageria. J Plant Nutrition 27:1163-1181.
3. Agbede TM, Ojeniyi SO and Adeyemo AJ (2008) Effect of poultry manure on soil physical and chemical properties, growth and grain yield of sorghum in southern Nigeria. Amer Eurasian J Sustain Agric 2:72 - 77.
4. Alberto CDO (2000) Potato crop growth as affected by nitrogen and plant density. Orgopec Bars Brasillia 35: 939-950.
5. Al-Fadhli JTM (2006) Effect of NPK addition to soil and spraying on potato growth and yield. Master Thesis. Soil and Water Sciences Department. Faculty of Agriculture, Baghdad University, Iraq.
6. Al-Obaidi AJH (2008) Response of apricot trees Zghini variety of organic and mineral fertilization. Master Thesis, College of Agriculture, University of Baghdad, Republic of Iraq.
7. Anant-Bahadure A, Singh K, Apadhyan A, et al. (2006) Effect of organic amendments and bio-fertilizers on growth, yield and quality attributes of Chinese cabbage (Brassica pekinensis L.). Indian J of Agri Sci 76(10): 596-598.
8. Appireddy GK, Saha S, Mina BL, et al. (2008) Effect of organic manure and integrated nutrient on yield potential of ball pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) varieties and on soil properties. Arch Agron Soil Sci 54: 127-137.
9. Bowen W, Cabrera H, Barrera V, et al. (1997) Simulating the response of potato to applied nitrogen, CIP Program Report 381 – 386.
10. Havlin JL, Beaton JD, Tisdale SL, et al. (2005) Soil Fertility and Fertilizers: 7th Ed.
11. Jasim AH, Hussein MJ and Nayef MN (2013) Effect of foliar fertilizer (high in potash) on growth and yield of seven potato cultivars (Solanum tuberosom L.). Euphrates Journal of Agriculture Science 5(1):1-7.
12. Malik AA, Chattoo MA, Sheemar G, et al. (2011) Growth, yield and fruit quality of sweet pepper hybrid SH-SP-5 (Capsicum annuum L) as affected by integration of inorganic fertilizer and organic manure (FYM). J Agri Technology 7(4): 1037-1048.
13. Muthoni J and Nyamongo DO (2009) A review of constraints to ware Irish potatoes production in Kenya. J Hort and Forestry 1(7): 098-102.
14. Othman JY (2007) Study of the effect of using organic fertilizer in the cultivation and production of potatoes as a contribution to clean organic production. Master of Agriculture, Horticulture Department, Tishreen University, Lattakia.
15. Samra B and Said H (2011) Effect of Type of Organic Fertilizer on Growth of Green Peas Rondo Variety Tishreen. University Journal for Research and Scientific Studies - Biological Sciences Series 33(5): 64-75.
16. Saunders A (2001) Organic potato production. Green mount, Antrin, BT41
17. Tindall HD (1992) Vegetables in the tropics. Macmillan Press Ltd, London, pp: 533.
18. Taiz L and Zeiger E (2010) Plant Physiology. 5th Edition, Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
19. Valarini PJ, Curaqueno G, Seguel A, et al. (2009) Effect of compost application on some properties of a volcanic soil from central south Chili. Chilean Journal of agricultural Research 69 (3): 416-425.
20. Wang M, Zheng Q, Shen Q, et al. (2013) The critical role of potassium in plant stress response. International journal of Molecular Sciences 14(4):7370–7390.
License: Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution, and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third-party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. Visit for more details http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.